My Grandma's Nut Roll


My Mom used to make this on Christmas morning. It was my Grandmother's recipe. I don't like walnuts but this is really good. To me it doesn’t taste like walnuts cause of all the rest in it. I made it last year for the first time. Our family was in town for Christmas and they loved it. I was a little nervous since I never made it. But it came out tasty. The recipe is doubled but I tried to cut it in half which is to the left.


NUT ROLL

Makes 10 rolls. I will cut it in half so you can see that too.

12 C. flour -6 C. Flour

3 C. Evaporated milk– 1 ½ C. Evaporated milk

3 tsp. salt ----1 ½ tsp salt

6-8 eggs ----- 3 – 4 eggs

1 C. sugar ----- ½ C. Sugar

1 pound butter ---- 1/2 pound butter

2 packages dry yeast (quarter ounce each package) --- 1 package dry yeast

Warm milk, add butter, salt, sugar then cool. Dissolve yeast in mixture. Whip eggs in another bowl. Add to mixture when cool. Put flour in large bowl. Make a well and pour the liquid in. mix

Then grab that dough till it comes free from side of bowl. Let rise till double in bulk. Put down and let rise again. Then divide into 10 balls. Roll out in oblong shape ¼ inch thick. Fill as for jelly roll, roll, let rise under towels. Brush top with beaten egg and little milk. About 5 rolls to a good sheet.

325 for 45 minutes watch carefully.

Filling

2-4 pounds ground walnut. (3 is probably best) ----1 ½ pounds of walnuts

2 eggs ---- 1 egg

Half a pound of melt butter

1-2 C. sugar ------ ½ -1 C. Sugar

Squeeze 2 TBSP lemon --- 1 TBSP

½ c- 1 C. milk

ICING:
• 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
• 1 teaspoon butter, softened
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 3 to 4 teaspoons milk



0 comments: