Moms aren't suppose to be perfect!!

Last night I was at Mops (Mothers of Preschoolers) we had a great speaker named Joan Webb who wrote a few books. The Relief of Imperfection & It's A Wonderful Imperfect Life: Daily Encouragement for Women Who Strive Too Hard to Make It Just Right. . and more.......Here is her website...http://www.joancwebb.com/

S
he talked to us about being a Mom who doesn't have to be perfect. After my son turned a year old I hit a wall where I realized that I just couldn't get the everything accomplished in ONE DAY.

There is laundry, the dishes, cleaning the house, spending time with my son playing with his toys, taking the dog in and out, emails, phone calls, disciplining my son, potty training, going to the grocery store, clothes shopping, doing the bills, quiet time, exercise, doing my photography business and taking care of everything for my family. I got to the point where I said to myself I am not perfect nor will I ever be. All I can do it just do is lean on God for my strength and do the very best I can each day. This was tremendously helpful for me to feel much more relaxed and able to accomplish greater things. I didn't have that added pressure daily.

Lately I have been making lists for the week and for each day. This way I can cross off things I have accomplished and see that I am getting further in my goal setting. I love lists and goals, they have always helped me to stay focused. I am defiantly a A.H.D person. If I get distracted I have a hard time remembering and staying focused.


This past year after my son turned 2, the lesson I learned is that I need to give myself more time, love and devotion to Leslie. I was devoting the past few years to my family and nothing to me. What did I want to do? What did I desire? What would I enjoy doing by myself? No free time, no hanging out with friends only work, work, work. So I started going back to the gym and going to Mops and playdates!! To be a healthy Mom we need to love and care for ourselves just as much as our family. Or else they suffer. There is so more I need to learn so these books sound like exactly what I was looking for.

We don't have to get everything done each day to be perfect with our house and family for us to be happy.. We can rely on God for help and give ourselves more credit for what we actually do accomplish instead of thinking we have to be this perfect Mom. I can't wait to read Joan's books.

Take a minute to look at what Amazon's book description says about

It’s a Wonderful (Imperfect) Life is a collection of daily reminders that God does not want women to live in a continually overwhelmed state. Instead, He wants them to learn and live balanced lives and to enjoy their relationships with family, friends and Him. Life coach Joan C. Webb, author of The Relief of Imperfection, offers good news to readers who try too hard to make everything just right: Imperfect is just right! In her conversational, confessional style, Joan shares war stories from her own fight against perfectionism and invites readers to do battle with her. Armed with humor, grace and helpful coaching exercises, she delivers three minutes a day that will start women on an adventure of just-right, relief-filled imperfection.

1 comments:

Joan C. Webb said...

Hi Leslie,
Davona let me know about your blog post. So fun to read it. My heart is smiling.
I love your story. "Moms aren't supposed to be perfect." What a great heart you have. And congratulations for taking care of yourself and your family.
Enjoy reading.
And please keep in touch.
I'm glad you little girl is nudging you with love.
Relief blessings to you tonight,
Joan