How I became a Photographer

I was a stay at home Mom. In the past I had worked 10-12 hours a days for years, at a job which was more like problem solving all day long. I LOVED my job, working in 3D was a dream come true. It was mentally challenging and I LOVED it but there was one thing missing and I felt it every day. I couldnt be creative like I needed to be. I didn't have the freedom of using my creativity and it wore on me as an artist.
I did computer animation for feature films like The Polar Express, Scooby Doo 2, Garfield, Sky High etc..

When I was at home with my son watching my first baby grow it was the neatest thing ever. I adored every moment but it was so hard to not want to work and keep my mind busy. I am a thinker, I love a challenge!!

I was reading this book called, "The Cure for the Common life" by Max Lucado (my favorite author). He was talking about your gifts and talents God equipped you with for a purpose. I searched my mind trying to think of things I could do to glorify God. I am artist, sculpt, paint, draw etc. I actually was a mural painter for kids rooms before I got pregnant.



But my true love and passion was always photography. I had practiced a ton every single day on my son and then people started talking to me about how I should start charging people. I didn't think I was good enough yet. I saw my work getting better as time went on. My Mother in-law also talked me into as well. I had to taken photography classes in high school but it was so long ago. I bought books and read up on everything I could, which did help me. Also I went to College for Art and drawing for 4 years so I definately think this helped to train my eye better for perspective and composition.

Then I had the chance to shoot my sisters wedding and then I fell in love and realized at that point I felt confident to charge people. Luckly I knew a ton of Photoshop (editing program) to help me out.



So on Thanksgiving of last year I started. I was booked almost every day till Christmas and after. The rest is history, as time went on I only got more busy. I love my work.
I love being able to bring joy into people's homes and happiness. To capture those few moments that just go by so fast. It is a really a pleasure I could never have dreamed of myself but know God's hand is through it from how many clients I get, to who my clients are. I have been so blessed to meet the nicest people. I couldn't pick better people to shoot their family portraits.
I am a full time Mom and love it and work part time. When my kids get older I would like to focus more attention on shooting weddings.
That is my story thanks for reading!!!

2 comments:

Eunice Brownlee said...

Leslie, your story is awesome. I hope to have the same story some day! Glad that you followed your heart and dreams.

Eunice

Victoria said...

WOW Leslie - that is so awesome!! Still...I don't know how you could ever quit doing your your day job! You are a risk taker!! :o)